Follow Us

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to the blogging scene, but I will be adding helpful articles regularly. However, it is impossible to cover everything to do with renovating, so if you would like to join my email community you will receive updates as they are uploaded to my blog.
My All Renovations website will be and running soon and there will be plenty of helpful hints and articles for you to look through.
Remember, Renovating should be FUN!

To join our community just type in you email address and hit subscribe. Cheers!
(Note: No subscriber information is ever given to any other parties)

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Tuesday 18 November 2014

TOOL REVIEW


Hi everyone, I am not going to bore you with a specific comparison of one tool to another just yet. Over the many years working in the construction industry, I can safely say that I have used just about every type of tool, be it a hand tool or power tool, that is needed to construct or renovate.

Since I began my apprenticeship, every tool that I had purchased was always a leading brand and quite expensive. Over the last 10 years, I have bought less expensive items, not just hand tools like screw drivers, pliers and that sort of thing, but also electric tools such as circular saws, drills and jack hammers.

The main reason for buying the top of the line expensive tools was for the reliability factor that you would expect from a high end item. Many of the cheaper and less known brands were only ever purchased by the home handyman because they were simply not used as much and were not used for long periods of time.

A prime example of a power tool that runs for long periods and takes quite a beating is the jack hammer. These are obviously used to break up concrete and stone etc. A cheaper tool would break and most times the electric motor would simply burn out.

                                              But I have some interesting news!
Maytek and Ozito Drills


Years back I could not afford to buy a new jack hammer that was a rotary hammer as well simply because of the price. I was forced to buy something even if it only lasted for that one particular job. I reluctantly went to my local Bunnings store and found a brand that I had never heard of. OZITO. I weakened and purchased the tool for a whopping $120.
Bare in mind, the one I would have bought if money was no object was the high end brand costing $850.

None the less I had left the store thinking what the hell have I done, and proceeded back to the job site. That unknown brand, fit for only light handyman use, powered on for 6 years, taking everything that I could throw at it. When it finally gave in, I went back to the same Bunnings store and purchased and even smarter and slightly more powerful model for a whopping $130. It is over 2 years old now and still working just fine.

My point is, with all of the new technology and the various overseas brands flooding todays market, it is possible to have a reasonable quality tool for a very inexpensive price. The guarantee on these home handyman tools is usually around 2 years and that is if it is only used as a handyman tool. Don't expect it to last as mine did, but the way I look at it is even if it only lasts 6 months to a year, it is still a lot cheaper than hiring one.

There are definitely some tools that I would simply not compromise on. This Makita brand power saw is absolutely one of the best for quality and feel that is on the market.
 
Feel free to email me with any questions that you may have. Just use the Contact Form on the left side of the screen.

Happy tool hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.